The arms are those of Bertie with Wynn in pretence for Robert, 4th Earl of Lindsey (1660-1723) and his wife Mary, daughter and co-heir of Sir John Wynn, 2nd baronet of Gwydir. He was created Marquess of Lindsey in 1706 and Duke of Ancaster and Kesteven in 1715.
In 1702, the Earl presided over the coronation of Queen Anne as Lord Great Chamberlain. As a perquisite of this hereditary office he received a ewer and two large basins which were cited in the Jewel House records under "Coronation Claims" as follows: April 21, 1702, Delivered unto the Right Honble. The Earle of Lindsey, Lorde Greate Chamberlaine as Chief Officer of the Ewry as his Claime two large chased basons gilt, one chaced Ewre gilt - 355 oz. 4 dwt.
Lindsey's ewer, engraved with Royal arms, by Lewis Mettayer, remains at Grimsthorpe Castle. However, the present dish is engraved with the Earl's own arms, rather than Royal arms and thus was likely ordered en suite with the above noted perks of office. Another dish, presented to the Earl of Exeter and now at Burghley House, by George Garthorne, is of similar size and weight, and chased with similar harps, roses, leeks and thistles.
Bache also supplied the 4th Earl with other silver, including nine silver-gilt plates of 1702 (illustrated in Yvonne Hackenbroch, English and other Silver in the Irwin Untermyer Collection, 1969, no. 109) and two jugs of 1705, sold Sotheby's, London, 19 November 1987, lot 47.